יום רביעי, 19 במרץ 2008

Today's Top Issue: Philosophy

Alright, so the time may be slightly too devilish for philosophy (what's so devilish about 6+ AM? Oh, you poor sods, try not sleeping for a minute the night before...) but I will try and make an effort. Also, I'm typing this on my uncle's 800x600 resolution PC, which means everything is on a colossal scale, another hindrance.

So, today's question is simple enough - duties aside, what is our purpose in life?

Now I know, it's sounds simplistic, but think about it for a minute. In a very real sense we are born, go to all kinds of [pre]schools, sometimes the army, sometimes the university, and most of us who made it thus far would then go on to work, marry someone, raise some [not so] beautiful babies who will turn out to be (annoyingly enough) a better version of ourselves (or not, which is even worse), and hopefully die in our beds in the ripe age of seventy-eight (eighty-two for the females amongst us) having set our wills properly and having made sure we triple-signed it (on account of the Alzheimer, of course).

But why?

Most of us will not transcend to greatness, and for most of these it's better that way, but don't you see the futility of the exercise? We live, we die, and we have no impact. On the bottom line, we're statistics.

Now, don't go off calling me a Pessimist (I hate hearing the truth, you know...) but there has to be something more, right?

Lucky for us, there is. I won't go preaching about how every one of us has to live to his potential, because I don't know anything about that. I certainly don't seem to be on the fast lane to living up to mine's. That said, live is about... well, life. It has no goal, it has no purpose. I certainly never considered my goal in life to be rich or famous or even to save the world. All I want to do is learn new things, have fun, find someone I could love (and then another, and another...) and just... well... do it.

Oh, I'm also into writing a book. Big surprise there - I can see the shock on your faces.

So. Forget about life. There's no manual, and certainly no holy grail. Who cares about the 'why'?

Just do it.

2 תגובות:

אנונימי אמר/ה...

I think the answer to the purpose of life is self evident.
I think that whether we were created or just came to be our purpose is the same. Live and Speard. Life is in itself a virus its only purpose is its only function. Its true that we have exceeded this, which is why our eco systems are getting shot to hell. Our exceeding this is either a coincidence in which case we should (in order to live and spread) try to solve the issue, or if we were made and designed it is no less a motivation to do our best to exist is much as we can for as long and as far as we can. good night RAFI

אנונימי אמר/ה...

Good point there, what is life really about, and its only getting worse. With polution, over population and stuff like that. Hope to talk to you some time soon, BYE!

Billy (i think i posted as hidden, but im not too sure!)